Black Excellence

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by buglerroller, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

:smt049:smt049:smt023:smt023

2. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

BD! :smt058

We don't know the circumstances of the male figures in his life...Regardless, he seems to be doing just fine with or without, wouldn't you agree?

3. Black DeNiro

Black DeNiro Well-Known Member

:smt049

4. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

I will never buy a bow tie but I think this is adorable.

5. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

By Timothyna Duncan For Dailymail.com and Associated Press19:22 EDT 14 May 2017

A 14-year-old physics major has become the youngest person ever to graduate from Texas Christian University.

Carson Huey-You was among more than 2,000 students getting degrees on Saturday at the Fort Worth school, where he also minored in Chinese and Math.

[​IMG]
    Graduating as the co-valedictorian in his high school, Carson... is pictured here looking up at fellow graduate Adam Christopher Hood as they prepare to receive their diplomas on stage.

While his achievements have already put him in the history books, the self-described 'normal dude' has already set his eyes on getting graduate and doctorate degrees in quantum mechanics.

But he doesn't see himself as any different from others his age, and even shies away when others call him a 'genius' or 'celebrity'.

'I’m a normal dude,' he told the Star-telegram. 'It is just something I have learned to deal with because, to me I am not a genius. I am a normal 14-year-old person doing college-level stuff.'

[​IMG]
    The prodigy is pictured here walking off the stage after receiving his bachelor's degree during the commencement ceremony held in Fort Worth, Texas, on Saturday

[​IMG]
    Carson was a physics major who double minored in math and Chinese after enrolling in 2013. He is pictured here hugging his mentor, physics professor Magnus RiRittby

Carson - who is just four years older than the world's youngest college graduate - first shot to the spotlight in 2013 when he entered the university at 11 years old.

But he was still intimidated by his new surroundings and says his college classes were a lot more difficult than he anticipated, especially the American environmental history, general chemistry II and classical mechanics classes.

'It was scary at first because my high school was only one building versus a massive campus with tons of people,' Carson told the paper.

'After that, I really did get used to it because TCU was so accommodating and a positive influence really.

'When I used to get bad test scores or something like that, I would go home and be disappointed and think about, "Oh, I should have known this, I should have done way better."'

Now, he told the local paper: 'I know better how to deal with that disappointment, knowing that I will bounce back.'

Fascinated by the 'very small-scale things' in quantum physics, he sees this field as central to the future of smartphones and other electronic devices.

'Quantum mechanics deals with very, very small-scale things,' Carson said.

'Even, a lot of the times, past microscopic level so you get electrons, protons, neutrons — even smaller than that going into quarks.'

He then added: 'Smartphones, computers, electronics — all of that stuff runs on quantum mechanics. If you want smaller technology that fits into smaller spaces, then that’s really where to look.'

[​IMG]
    Carson, second from left, says his college experience has helped him cope with disappointment. 'I know better how to deal with that disappointment, knowing that I will bounce back'

His knowledge of the physics field is uncanny and far from what the average 14-year-old knows. 'Quantum mechanics deals with very, very small-scale things,' he said. 'Even, a lot of the times, past microscopic level so you get electrons, protons, neutrons — even smaller than that going into quarks'

The self-described 'normal dude' has already set his eyes on pursuing graduate and doctorate degrees in quantum mechanics.

[​IMG]

This prodigy has also had to share the spotlight with his brother Cannan, a 10-year-old who graduated from the Accommodated Learning Academy - the same high school his brother attended - and is also headed to the Texas Christian Academy to study engineering, physics and astronomy.

[​IMG]
    Carson is pictured here showing one of his graduation gifts, a Hobbit Lego set to 10-year-old (also genius) brother Cannan, after the commencement ended

Even though both boys already have enough on their resume to make their mother proud, their mom Claretta Kimp - who shed a tear as her son received his diploma - loves to know that through it all her sons are still close.

'It's sweet,' she said of their relationship, adding that she hopes her sons grow up to be selfless people who give back to society.

[​IMG]
    Mom breaks down in tears as her 'normal' fourteen-year-old becomes the youngest ever graduate of Texas university

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  6. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

Not one, but two geniuses in that family. These young brothers are going places.

7. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Aww, God Bless this child. Nothing but the stars for him. <3

An eight-year-old boy who fled Nigeria with his family and is now living in a homeless shelter in New York City while his asylum application pends has been crowned the state's chess champion for his age group.

[​IMG]

Tanitoluwa Adewumi won the state tournament for his group, from kindergarten through third grade, last weekend.

The boy and his family fled their home in Nigeria in 2017 in fear for their lives and have been living in a homeless shelter ever since while their application for asylum pends.

Tani, as he is known to family and friends, plays chess at the elementary school he attends and practices every night in the shelter.

His father Kayode drives for Uber and is also a real estate broker.

The family moved to the US to escape Boko Haram, a terrorist group responsible for atrocious attacks against Africans.

Because they are devout Christians, they feared they would be targeted.

[​IMG]

Tani and his siblings became enrolled in local elementary schools not long after they arrived and he discovered the chess club.

His mother Oluwatoyin emailed them to say that while they could not afford to pay the fees attached, he was eager to participate.

The club waived the fees to encourage him.

[​IMG]

Not only does Tani play with them, but he also attends a free, three-hour practice session in Harlem every Saturday to master his game. At night, he uses his father's laptop to practice.

Now, he wants to be the youngest grandmaster 'ever', he told The New York Times.

Russ Makofsy, who runs the chess club in which Tani plays, has launched a GoFundMe campaign to help the boy's family.

He said it was astonishing how much Tani had improved in just a year.

[​IMG]

'One year to get to this level, to climb a mountain and be the best of the best, without family resources.

'I’ve never seen it,' he told The Times.

The GoFundMe page has nearly raised $60, 000 of its $25,000 goal in only 2 days.

8. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

*Update from the GFM..

"Today was beyond words. We came together, everyone came together. From all ends of the earth we came together. There were those who gave $5, there were those who gave $555, there were those who offered jobs, there were those who offered cars, there were those who offered homes, there were those who offered legal services, there were those who gave words of love. Today was all love. Thank you."

(In the short time it took me to gather and post the OP, it went up to $62,000. Wow!)

https://www.gofundme.com/f/just-tani

9. tp480

tp480 Well-Known Member

10. JordanC

JordanC Well-Known Member

Couldn't decide where to put this. In 274 years this is the first black valedictorian at Princeton:

https://www.princeton.edu/news/2020...dictorian-grace-sommers-selected-salutatorian

Nicholas Johnson
    Johnson is the first black valedictorian in Princeton’s history.

He said he appreciates the encouragement he has received at Princeton in developing his academic interests. The University’s support through opportunities including international internships and cultural immersion trips to Peru, Hong Kong and the United Kingdom were especially significant, Johnson said. But most of all, he treasures his relationships with his classmates.

[​IMG]

11. tp480

tp480 Well-Known Member

Love news like this

12. JordanC

JordanC Well-Known Member

TP we used to have another thread many moons ago kind of similar but can't remember the title. I could not find it so I came across your thread.

It's great you made a new one. I asked tam to pin it in a prominent place so we can post things we find on black excellence. :)

13. tp480

tp480 Well-Known Member

Thats cool. When I found more positive articles or stats, I will post especially when it comes to bm and bm/ww.

14. tp480

tp480 Well-Known Member

Oops find more positive articles or stats.

15. tp480

tp480 Well-Known Member

16. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

General Brown does not look like he suffers fools lightly.

17. tp480

tp480 Well-Known Member

18. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

19. Othello1967

Othello1967 Active Member

I was a regular subscriber to Black Enterprise (BE) magazine for several years and I was amazed to find how many successful black businesses there were. And no, these were not "fronts" because BE`S policy is that a business has to be majority black owned to be considered a black business. That`s where I came across black investment firms like Ariel Investments whose CEO is Mellody Hobson.

20. Sigrid

Sigrid Member

Good for him. It’s refreshing to hear positive news like this.