21 things black men don’t hear often enough

Discussion in 'Getting Ahead: Careers, Finance and Productivity' started by 4north1side2, Jun 27, 2015.

1. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

1. I love you bro. We don’t tell each other as men how much we mean to each other. There is no weakness in that. Only strength, solidarity, and power.

2. You don’t have to be perfect. You just have to commit to getting better.

3. Someone is depending on you, to be exactly who you are.

4. Read more. You have time to read 12 books a year (which is more than the average American). We also aren’t average.

5. Showing and sharing your emotions isn’t a sign of weakness. Paying attention to how we feel helps us become more in tune with what’s actually going on.

6. Your mental health matters. You can’t “work yourself” out of your mind. Emotional trauma is very real and worthy of our time. We’ve been through a lot recently.

7. Living is an act of resistance. You are going to live, get out all these dreams, and thrive – despite the odds.

8. You are a descendent of kings. Seriously, don’t bow your head to life. You were built for this.

9. Their opinion won’t pay your bills, or build your dreams. They won’t always see your vision. Not everyone is supposed to.

10. Failure isn’t a tattoo. Learn how to take the Ls and move on. Adapt and overcome.

11. Getting this money, and doing good, aren’t mutually exclusive. You just have to be clear on your non-negotiables and stand by them.

12. You don’t have to ask for permission to be excellent. Go for it.

13. “Everybody eat’s b” – Ace Boogie. Seriously, we can all get what we want to out here. Helping people doesn’t make you a sucker. Do have boundaries though.

14. There is absolutely nothing wrong with working for someone else (even if you’re from Harlem), but it pays to think like an owner. Signing the front of a check is very different than the back.

15. #BLACKLIVESMATTER

16. If someone knocks you for your 9-5, they (1) aren’t your friends and (2) they don’t know about your 6-10. Keep going.

17. Start owning when you can. Pay yourself first. These loans ain’t loyal.

18. We don’t need to prove anything to anyone. You’re excellent and it’s perfectly okay to still be warming up.

19. Try to take care of yourself. I love Popeyes, but what we put in ourselves can actually kill us. Exercise, eat well, and get active. Put some $$ on your jumper, and invite your team out!

20. Learning how to cook is a great look. Seriously. Watch a couple Youtube videos, hit Home Goods, and start cheffing.

21. “Someday” is never going to show up on the calendar. Write that book, send that tweet, record podcast. Don’t opt out, especially not right now.

2. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

I'd like to add "Sorry for pulling you over this evening, sir. I just wanted to let you know your turn signal was out. No ticket this time, just a heads-up to get that checked out. Have a great evening!"

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  3. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Thank you. saying it and hearing it

And " i love you" ....saying it to someone is just as good as hearing it from someone

4. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

Quite true. Hearing things like this could be a great boost to your morale.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  5. SexyBaltimorean

SexyBaltimorean New Member

Great post, northside. I can think of MANY brothas that need to read this...

6. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

Agreed. I need to strive to accomplish many of those.

7. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Which one is most important to you?

8. DudeNY12

I'd say #2,11 and 12.

9. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Lol...u cheated. Only one and why.

10. DudeNY12

Oh, my bad. I'd have to go with #2. It's important to know that no one is infallible, and it's just as important to learn from mistakes. That said, it's also just as important to continue growing, and welcoming any opportunity to improve yourself.

11. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Yeah i can dig that

12. Shulz021

Shulz021 Well-Known Member

Awesome post North :smt026