The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Skaddix

Skaddix Well-Known Member

Overrated not to mention cant help but notice the heavy black appropriation with the only black dude around being the bad guy hunting mutants....

2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

yup noticed that too. The fastest way to turn me off to a show these days is the lack of black characters

3. Skaddix

Dont get me wrong I dont mind a good black villian. I do mind it when the only black guy around is the bad guy hunting the poor white family.

4. The Dark King

Yup creates a narrative

5. Skaddix

Watched The Mayor will probably have some IR in the future.

6. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

I liked it. Far better than Inhumans premiere.

7. darkcurry

There was a black guy (don't know if he'll get any story time.) with the mutant underground headquarters, he has an eye on the side of his head.

But as far as the other black guy go I wouldn't look too much into that since he is with Sentinel and human to boot. I also heard him mentioning he has a family which tells me they would probably add layers to his character. I don't think he will be the type of villain that will get heat for the show. We'll see though.

8. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

The X-Men side of the Marvel universe has always had an issue with black representation. For decades Storm was the sole "black" mutant character. They later added a Brazillian character who had a vague degree of blackness (Sunspot) to the junior team (New Mutants) They also later added their first "black" male character (Bishop) who later turned out to be an Aborigine or something. They quickly added and killed off several other minor black characters over the last 20 years (Synch, Maggott, Darwin etc.) So it dosesn't surprise me that the X-Men inspired TV show would have a problem with black characters.

9. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

It's not an eye but basically a bullet wound.

[​IMG]

The character is called Shatter. His entire body is composed of a blue-black, diamond-hard, crystalline substance, which renders him invulnerable to most conventional attacks. He can regenerate lost limbs, and possesses the ability to crystallize any liquid substance he comes into contact with, such as water, oil, and presumably blood. And yeah, whether or not they actually give him story time or just used him as an Easter egg remains to be seen.

Agree on Coby Bell's character. Don't read too much into that.

Biggest gripe for me is the fact everyone knows by now that the X-Men/mutant saga has always been an allegory for racism & the fear of the "other", so why not just make all the main mutants connected with the Mutant Underground all some kind of non-white minority. They seeded it that way it seems with Thunderbird, the latino guy and Blink being Asian, so throw in more than one black mutant character and possibly a Samoan mutant for change of pace. Lorna Dane & the Strucker kids should be the only white mutants we see.

10. darkcurry

Oh, I know who you are talking about, forgot to mention him. I'm talking about somebody else though, he was at the gate he has an eye on the side of his head.

That is the way it is looking with The Strucker kids and Lorna looking to be the only white people on this show. That group of white folks we all know might trip if they complete it by bringing a black mutant up to the main cast. This show would be truly diverse. Too much too handle.

11. The Dark King

Worked in the Matrix

12. Skaddix

I think its funny how the white kid is super overpowered considering he has zero training but of course he is.

13. darkcurry

They tend to make most characters with telekinesis to be the most powerful, just look at Jean Grey.

14. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This week, Catwoman (Selina Kyle) finally responded to Bruce Wayne's marriage proposal. (Batman: Rebirth #32)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  15. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Okay...I know what guy you're talking about. It didn't click for me in your initial post because I saw him more as a random background mutant than potential story character. The Shatter character clicked when I saw him because I recognized him as an actual comic character.

They could make this show as diverse as possible if they wanted to. They introduced a shit ton of younger minority mutants in the early 00's or so in Academy X & New X-Men comics they could use for the show. Nevermind Synch, Skin and M from Generation X.

16. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

It was bound to happen sooner or later.

17. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Earth M and The Return of Milestone Comics

Full article here.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  18. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

19. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Hopefully this movie will allow Boyega to be the dashing hero that Star Wars denied him from being. At this point anything would be an improvement over the cowardly space janitor he was in The Force Awakens.

20. darkcurry

Marvel's Runaways Trailer Out Nov. 21 on Hulu

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/916437036386492416

I wonder why they couldn't add this to Freeform alongside Cloak and Dagger being as though they are both aimed mainly at a teenage audience. Seems like better marketing to me.