African American soldier in Germany

Discussion in 'The International Perspective' started by Madeleine, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Madeleine

Madeleine Well-Known Member

I’m glad to hear this guy is having a good time.
    That being said we are no society of saints . However, if there’s resentment nowadays it’s more towards other immigrant groups that have caused trouble in recent years, not black people. Especially not Americans. American soldiers have a long history in Germany and they are well accepted (especially with women;)). So believe him when he says we eat the chocolate in the ice cream first.

2. Mrmike757

Mrmike757 Well-Known Member

I seen that Mudbound movie on Netflix called Mudbound. Touches on how Black American soldiers were treated abroad during WWII I think it was. Then having to come back home and be treated worse than animals. I think I would've went AWOL for sure.

3. Madeleine

What’s AWOL? To desert your post?

4. sarah23

sarah23 Well-Known Member

But they were not allowed to be part of the Allies victory parade in Paris !

5. Madeleine

Seriously?!?! That’s messed up.

6. Madeleine

Anyway, the video is about his experience in this day and age. He talks about people from all over the world settling here. I think he might be living in Berlin, from the picture. Berlin is the biggest most diverse city in Germany. It’d be different if he lived in a little village in Bavaria. People would hopefully still be nice, but he might feel more like an outsider.

7. sarah23

sarah23 Well-Known Member

Same with African soldiers in French army. They were treated well by the people, especially French women, but not so by the authorities.

8. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

Yes.

AWOL =

Absent
    With
    Out
    Leave

9. Mrmike757

Yes I meant I would've went ghost and stayed abroad. Black men in the US Army came back home from the war to be treated like "n*****s". This was depicted in the film. At least overseas they were treated better and could date/marry whom ever they wanted. Seems like a better option at that time.

10. Mrmike757

Better than hanging from a tree in rural Georgia.

11. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Racism have always been the hardest to teach to their white female counterpart. America has become the hot bed of racism so it is more aggressive here. Non American women are not indoctrinated with racism like American white women are so even the ones that are racist it isn't on the same level as American white women unless they learned from them.

12. Madeleine

I think in the video he doesn’t just talk of his relationships with women but life in general. The vibe he gets from the society. He gave the example of policemen stopping him and offering to fix his number plate instead of arresting him.

13. Madeleine

That would mean that one could never return or else be arrested, right?
    It’d have been an option anyway. American soldiers left a lot of children behind, some never had contact with their father.

14. darkcurry

I know that. I was touching on what we have heard a lot from black americans regarding the vibe they get from women of some of these other countries and attributing that to how passive racism is in some of these other countries. Although the racial ignorance is high with countries like Sweden with blackface.

15. Madeleine

When did the Swedes do blackface?
    I think Scandinavians are very open-minded and egalitarian. Maybe that was a stupid individual. I wouldn’t have any second thoughts about going there.

16. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

Same thing happens in Scandinavia. Some muslims are making demands and play the victim card when they don't get what they want. Skin color has nothing to do with this, religion and cultural background has.

17. Madeleine

There are just some immigrant groups that find it much harder integrating into society than others. Or rather, they are less willing.

18. darkcurry

You never heard of Black Pete?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

"Controversial sidekick of the Dutch Saint Nicholas, Black Pete..."

http://www.africanews.com/2016/11/1...stokes-anti-racism-protest-police-arrest-100/

Former Swedish Prime Minister Lena Adelsohn Liljeroth
    [​IMG]
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/swedish-minister-of-culture-slammed-for-racist-797906

19. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

Exactly.

20. Madeleine

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018