WhiteWomenBlackMen.com

Go Back   WhiteWomenBlackMen.com > LOVE > Conversations Between White Women and Black Men

Old 07-05-2008, 06:05 AM   #1
malikom
Banned

malikom has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Has Hiphop done more to harm the Black community than good?

In your opinion,has hiphop done more harm to the Black community,or more good?
malikom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:08 AM   #2
Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano has a reputation beyond reputeTony Soprano has a reputation beyond reputeTony Soprano has a reputation beyond reputeTony Soprano has a reputation beyond reputeTony Soprano has a reputation beyond reputeTony Soprano has a reputation beyond reputeTony Soprano has a reputation beyond reputeTony Soprano has a reputation beyond reputeTony Soprano has a reputation beyond reputeTony Soprano has a reputation beyond reputeTony Soprano has a reputation beyond repute
Creativity killed hip-hop, because nowadays everybody’s scared to be creative. Also, the record executives who bank-roll these acts feel as if they can pay someone to look like a fool for their own amusement.

They don’t want to see an act that is edifying or slightly talented, they want something that they see as “urban”, “sexy”, or “violent”, but in all actuality they want to see someone portrayed as ignorant.

These record executives (or “suits” as I like to call them) always want to convince themselves to do something different, but they have no idea how to do it.

They can't enslave us by putting shackles on us anymore, so they figure they can throw a ridiculous amount of money at us and turn us into some new-age court-jester.

Sometimes I don't think they even care if they don't get a return on their investment. If the return is one of us acting like buffoons or some glorified hoodlum then that’s a-okay to them.

That's who you should blame; the record execs are the guilty parties.

"Long Live The Queen♠."
Tony Soprano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:22 AM   #3
karmacoma.

karmacoma. has a reputation beyond reputekarmacoma. has a reputation beyond reputekarmacoma. has a reputation beyond reputekarmacoma. has a reputation beyond reputekarmacoma. has a reputation beyond reputekarmacoma. has a reputation beyond reputekarmacoma. has a reputation beyond reputekarmacoma. has a reputation beyond reputekarmacoma. has a reputation beyond reputekarmacoma. has a reputation beyond reputekarmacoma. has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Soprano
Creativity killed hip-hop, because nowadays everybody’s scared to be creative. Also, the record executives who bank-roll these acts feel as if they can pay someone to look like a fool for their own amusement.

They don’t want to see an act that is edifying or slightly talented, they want something that they see as “urban”, “sexy”, or “violent”, but in all actuality they want to see someone portrayed as ignorant.

These record executives (or “suits” as I like to call them) always want to convince themselves to do something different, but they have no idea how to do it.

They can't enslave us by putting shackles on us anymore, so they figure they can throw a ridiculous amount of money at us and turn us into some new-age court-jester.

Sometimes I don't think they even care if they don't get a return on their investment. If the return is one of us acting like buffoons or some glorified hoodlum then that’s a-okay to them.

That's who you should blame; the record execs are the guilty parties.
I guess the coons who take their money and make minstrel show CDs and TV programs are blameless.
karmacoma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:53 AM   #4
Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano has a reputation beyond reputeTony Soprano has a reputation beyond reputeTony Soprano has a reputation beyond reputeTony Soprano has a reputation beyond reputeTony Soprano has a reputation beyond reputeTony Soprano has a reputation beyond reputeTony Soprano has a reputation beyond reputeTony Soprano has a reputation beyond reputeTony Soprano has a reputation beyond reputeTony Soprano has a reputation beyond reputeTony Soprano has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmacoma.
I guess the coons who take their money and make minstrel show CDs and TV programs are blameless.
Oh no, I never said they were blameless. I said that "the suits" deserve the bulk of the blame. Some people are comfortable with losing their soul when they think they are gaining the whole world.

I do believe that things will eventually get better one day, it will just take someone with an extremely rebellious style of music that is socially conscious at the same time.

"Long Live The Queen♠."
Tony Soprano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 12:38 PM   #5
TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne is on a distinguished roadTheChosenOne is on a distinguished roadTheChosenOne is on a distinguished road
I don't think hip-hop..in and of itself has damaged the black community. There is no cause and effect here.

The rise of poverty, drug addiction, incarceration, miseducation etc. was beginning to happen before hip-hop even hit the scene. The difference between hip-hop back in the day and hip-hop now is that when I was a small child....rappers rapped about what was going on in the hood the way a quality journalist reports a story; there was no bias...they just told the story as it was happening. Young men being killed in the streets by other young men (and cops, sometimes) is a narrative that doesn't need to be overly dramatized....the story reeks of drama.

12-13 years ago...hip-hop changed....the generation of top flight rap artists that had struggled to make a name for themselves had risen to the top. Instead of rapping about "Brenda's Got a Baby" or how they've got us "Trapped"....the rappers rapped about the good life living in "California"...where their wealth and fame induced women to get on their knees and beg for "One More Chance."

The elder statesmen of hip-hop nowadays...(ex..Jay-Z)....own sports franchises and their own lines of clothes and liquor. The new generation, instead of rapping about the hood they've grown up in....rap about how they too can live the fast life and make the quick buck....while having sex with as many women as possible on the way to cashing in on their lyrics. Hip-hop's vulgarity as increased but it is arguably far less gritty in attacking prejudice, stereotypes, poverty etc.

The hip-hop artists today think that rapping about beating up another rapper is "edgy"....but it's actually...to use a Southern term....a "yellow-belly's" way out of telling the truth.

Any problems in the black community....would have existed with or without rap...the difference is that hip-hop from twenty years ago...had no problem putting a spotlight on those problems and indirectly attempting to solve the issues. Hip hop in today's world...merely seeks to gloss over the hardcore truth...and paint an unrealistic picture....a picture that says....ignore school, books and honest work....just do whatever you can to make money so that you can show it off...because your worth as a man is not measured by your character and integrity but by the number of carats on your neck or the price tag of your new set of rims.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:19 PM   #6
jellybird

jellybird is an unknown quantity at this point
I dont think hip-hop has changed or harmed the black community any more now than it did 20 years ago. Its no different than any other form of entertainment.

You have your good (old ice cube) and your bad (master p). You have your conscious (common) and your ignorant (soulja boy) and then there are those who "dance the dance" and just record songs that reflect their feelings at the time (jay-z from "money, cash, hoes" to "you must love me.")

I dont think we should be any more critical of "black entertainment" than we are of other forms of entertainment ("white" movies that range from 'harold and kumar" to "the lake house.")

Its when people take entertainment and the word of entertainers and dont separate it from reality (rappers dont "keep it ghetto" and stay in the hood, they make $ and get the f*uck out like any smart person) that we get this problem of increasing ignorance.

If the kids are ignorant...then the parents are not doing their job. If the adults are ingorant...then they deserve what ever they get.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:35 PM   #7
jellybird

jellybird is an unknown quantity at this point
Gotta go find my "lethal injection" cd...
Old 07-05-2008, 08:00 PM   #8
Sneakeedyck

Sneakeedyck is on a distinguished roadSneakeedyck is on a distinguished road
I feel hiphop has harmed black america , but it also have helped as well.
Giving black youths something to shoot for. Seeing Jay-Z achieve what he has. I wish it would go away from gangsta rap and more Lupe's and Little brother"s
Sneakeedyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:10 PM   #9
Malik True

Malik True will become famous soon enoughMalik True will become famous soon enoughMalik True will become famous soon enoughMalik True will become famous soon enough
If you are relieving parents of their responsibility sure hip hop has ruined the community.

Not to change the course of the thread I actually found it more interesting that karmacoma used the word coon on an IR website. So that I understand, you post here because you're interested in WW but throw the word coon around, got it!

It would be real interesting to read the hate filled whore calling comments from the black men on here if one of the WW stated

"It's niggas like DMX who take money from the community but can't keep his punk ass from getting in trouble"

Just my .02 and some Lemons Heads
Malik True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:36 PM   #10
Moskvichka

Moskvichka will become famous soon enoughMoskvichka will become famous soon enoughMoskvichka will become famous soon enoughMoskvichka will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malik True
"It's niggas like DMX who take money from the community but can't keep his punk ass from getting in trouble"
DMX? Is that the rapper whose interview was quoted in the News section of the forum, who doesn't know who Barack Obama is?