The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

He's a bit gaunt for Superman. His face is too long rather than being of the classic square jaw look for Superman.

2. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

3. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Kirk Allyn, the first screen actors to play Superman had a face like that. He didn't want to play Superman after two movie serials. George Reeves wanted more money to play the role. Allyn simply told the producers to give Reeves the money.

4. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Part of the problem is also the mental comparison between this svelte version and the DCCU's muscle bound version.

5. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

But it's the DC Multiverse, bro. We should pay no mind to the various off character things we see with some characters, especially when there is more than one active incarnation on TV & movies....

Just once during this comicbook TV/movie era we are currently in, I would love to see someone do a proper take on Superman. Not overly boy scout. Not overly powerful alien man-god. That nice middle ground of an alien with super human abilities trying to be a symbol of what is best about humanity.

6. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Smallville was pretty close with that take. I mean, it was on the CW , a network known for its teen dramas. Thankfully, Smallville explored the teen drama but didn't get into the " pretty white kids with problems" route. It was a legend for our era and it was an examination of others in young Kal-El like Lex Luthor, Lana Lang,,Lois Lane and Oliver Queen, who in turn, guided him. And with Jonathan and Martha Kent, he became a grounded young man.

7. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

[YOUTUBE]iMdQXYQ_MD8[/YOUTUBE]

hilarious

Life doesn't give you seat belts!!

8. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

The Nerdist is always a good bet. Not only comics, but sci-fi, fantasy, and more. Hosted by Chris Hardwick, comedian and host of "Talking Dead".

I didn't know that. I thought it was some ancient made-up word used for the show.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  9. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Even in the show, the animated Elders that Billy Batson consults are these gods. There was an episode where Billy's mentor (played by Les Tremaine)speaks to the Elders and they advise him to seek out Isis for help.

10. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

11. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

The Black Tribbles have been around for a good while. They are a radio show turned podcast based out of Philly. I'm surprised no one else has mentioned them before now.

[YOUTUBE]5p7m29TNlYQ[/YOUTUBE]

12. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

"LUKE CAGE" Will Feature Musical Performances From Some Notable Hip-Hop Artists

[​IMG]

Luke Cage showrunner, Cheo Hodari Coker, has confirmed that there will be multiple musical performances on the show and that some of the artists who will appear include Faith Evans, Method Man, Charles Bradley, The Delfonics, and Raphael Saadiq. This comes on the heels of the teaser attached to the Daredevil season 2 finale being set to Nas' Made You Look and the official SDCC teaser trailer being set to Ol' Dirty Bastard's Shimmy Shimmy Ya. Add that to the fact that every episode title is a Gang Starr song and it's very clear that hip-hop permeates all throughout the upcoming Netflix and Marvel collaboration. That fact alone sets it apart from the likes of Daredevil and Jessica Jones.

"Adrian Younge and Ali Shaheed Muhammad in terms of the score. We had a 30-piece orchestra - we live scored the entire series. People don't really do that anymore. It gives [the score] a certain breadth - it really invokes Isaac Hayes, it invokes Curtis Mayfield but does it in its own way, that has its own special hip-hop flavor. Not only what Adrian does in terms of having always used analog, recording and using real instruments but also the vibe of of Ali Shaheed Muhammad being one of the architects of A Tribe Called Quest. But then, in terms of actual on camera appearances, we have everyone from Faith Evans and Raphael Saadiq to Charles Bradley, to The Delfonics, Method Man and Jidenna. We've got some really great performances. It's this mixture of music matched with action and there's not a dull moment the entire season."

As per the usual, all 13-episodes of Luke Cage will be available for streaming at once on Netflix, starting September 30.

13. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

Why does this not sound good? Celebrity cameos? Is this going to be Empire but with superheroes?

This is why Luke Cage never appealed to me when I read comics. He was every Black male stereotype I hated. And, he couldn't be a regular superhero who does good for good's sake. He had to be a hero for hire. Ugh ....

I'm sure there's more to the character than that. I just never stuck with him long enough to get all of that. And, I will watch Luke Cage when the show drops because I know how Hollywood works. We don't get to Icon or Static or Miles Morales or John Stewart's Green Lantern or any of the non-stereotypical black heroes unless Luke Cage is a hit. So, I'll make sure to watch it and tell my friends to watch it.

I just hope it's good and not hood.

14. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Did Mike Coulter's Luke Cage come across as hood in Jessica Jones?

I don't think it's going to be "hood". It's Hollywood so they are going to make it "urban". That translates into hip hop & music to them. I'm assuming that there will be some sort of nightclub that serves as a regular go to place for Luke Cage in the series and that will account for these "musical cameos" is some episodes, but we'll see very shortly how everything plays out.

15. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

I feel much of what you're saying, Sampson.

I kind of missed what Luke Cage was supposed to be all about in the comics and he did seem like a hodge podge stereotypical mix blaxploitation superhero.

I'll still check it our though but I wish he had the afro still.lol

16. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

17. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

If they Keep and expand the persona of Luke Cage in Jessica Jones, which I think they will... then the show won't be hood per say, but just urban. Plus with the music they are using to promote the show and the guest appearances at least they aren't trying to turn him or the show into some ratchet, coonish show or make his character out to be some glorified ghetto-ass thug. I mean his pants are up around his waist, lol.

18. samson1701

No, he didn't. He wasn't hood at all. And I liked that. I'm just hoping they don't edge him in that direction.

I wish they wouldn't associate him with some night club in anyway. Too me, that's another racial trope. But, at the same time, I realize they have to be true to the character. He's not some middle class brotha who's slumming it. He's from the hood so that element has to be there otherwise he's not Luke Cage. And Luke Cage has a lot of fans and they deserve to see him portrayed authentically. In the end, as long as the show is well made, I'll enjoy it. Marvel hasn't let us down, yet.

Think he'll get to rock some variation of his blue and gold colors on the show?

19. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

I recall awhile back Mike Coulter kind of hinting at maybe some nod to Luke Cage's comic look but not sure of exactly which look he was referring to. He also referenced a nod to the afro & tiara head band look from the 70's so could be they throw bits and pieces of different takes from the comics is some way through out the series.

20. samson1701

Do you remember the character, "Buck Wild" from Milestone's Icon comic? He started out as a parody of Luke Cage, in the end, the story they told about him was pretty sweet. He became a commentary of most of the early white created, black characters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]